At carsales we aim to provide a platform that is safe and helpful when you’re buying, selling or just want to know about all things cars.
Whilst we don’t take ourselves too seriously, we do not tolerate anti-social behaviour on our website, app or other platforms. This includes behaviour that is defamatory, offensive, obscene or otherwise threatening, hurtful or inappropriate. If you have experienced anti-social behaviour while using the carsales Network there are a few things we’d suggest:
- Do not respond. Responding is likely to backfire and escalate the behaviour
- If you are being contacted directly via SMS, you may like to remove your number from your ad, or activate our paid service PrivacyProtect so you can still receive phone calls, but keep your number private. It is also possible on many mobile phones to block numbers, see if your phone has this feature
- Report any anti-social messages you’ve received in your carsales account by opening the message, then clicking on the ‘Report’ button found towards the top right-hand side of the page. Pressing the report button also blocks that account from contacting you again
- You may decide to pause your ad for a period of time (free of charge) until the other person finds a better pastime
- Someone engaging in anti-social behaviour may try and contact you outside the carsales platform, to avoid the communications being recorded automatically by our system. It’s a good idea to keep a record of communications such as SMS messages or emails. Consent from the other person is needed to record phone calls, but you can always keep screenshots or written notes of conversations you’ve had with a potential buyer or seller.
- Report the conversation to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, including any screenshots you have. If it is in breach of our Terms & Conditions, we can suspend the other person from accessing our network
- It may also be appropriate to call the Police – this is something you will need to decide. We can then assist the Police with any investigations they undertake.
If you’re unsure what to do, you’re always welcome to give us a call or send us an email – click here for our details.