1. What is Instant Offer?
Instant Offer is a free service, offered exclusively to carsales members and is a great alternative if you’re looking to sell your car quickly for a fair wholesale price.
With Instant Offer, the process is simple:
- We’ll offer you a “sell now” price for your vehicle i.e. the Instant Offer
- If you are happy with your offer click ‘Continue' and our buyer will contact you to organise a final inspection.
- The final inspection can be completed either with our buyer or at your preferred location using a mobile inspector (please note: not all locations are serviced by our mobile inspection team).
- Once the inspector confirms your vehicle matches the details submitted online and meets the offer conditions, you will be given the option to have your vehicle collected by our buyer, or to drop the vehicle off to one of their convenient locations.
- The wholesale buyer will arrange a bank transfer into your account which will be processed the next business day following receiving the vehicle.
2. Who will be purchasing my car if I sell through Instant Offer?
carsales has partnered with reputable wholesale buyers who have an interest in buying cars through the carsales network. You will be matched with your closest buyer to facilitate a simple and quick sale.
A wholesale buyer is a licensed motor vehicle dealer that purchases cars to sell again through a dealership, just like a trade-in.
3. Why should I choose Instant Offer?
Instant Offer allows for a quick and easy alternative to the traditional methods of selling your car, and quite often the process can be completed on the same day. We can come to you, there’s no need for a roadworthy and we will also take care of all the ownership transfers on your behalf.
4. How is the offer calculated?
Your Instant Offer price is calculated based on sales data of similar cars – this data has been obtained over time through the carsales network and a variety of other sources, including redbook.com.au
What are the offer conditions?
For the buyer to purchase your car for the offer price, it needs to meet a number of conditions. These will be checked off at time of inspection.
Firstly, the details and description you provided online about the car must match the car being inspected. For example, if you select the wrong year, transmission, or badge/series, the offer will be void. Therefore we encourage you to take special care in ensuring the details provided are correct.
Offers are also made based on the assumption that the car is in good condition, and meets the following requirements:
- Does not meet our unfair wear & tear damage assessment, applicable to both the interior & exterior of the car
- Has complete service records
- Free from mechanical issues
- Free of rust
- No modifications
- Clean title history
- Not written off
*Please note that if your vehicle does not meet the conditions or meets only some of the conditions, then the buyer may choose not to proceed with the sale or offer you a lower amount than originally offered.
5. How do I accept my Instant Offer?
Simply go to https://www.carsales.com.au/instant-offer offer and enter your car details. Once you answer some general questions regarding the condition of your vehicle, you will be prompted to sign in, you will then be shown your instant offer. You will be able to accept from this screen. If you have any problems please contact our service team on 13 72 53 (13 SALE).
6. How do I organise an inspection?
After you have accepted your Instant Offer, you will be contacted by our wholesale buyer to organise a suitable inspection time and location. The buyers contact details will also be displayed on the acceptance page should you wish to contact them.
7. I was told there would be a delay in receiving my Instant Offer?
Not all vehicles have an Instant Offer available and in some situations additional time and data are required to generate an offer, this generally takes 24-48 hours and in some cases an offer may still not be available.
8. Where is the wholesale buyer located?
carsales has partnered with multiple buyers around Australia. Once you accept your offer you will be matched with your closest buyer location for a convenient and quick sale, they may also be able to organise a mobile inspection for you.
9. Once I’ve accepted the offer, what’s next?
- You will receive a confirmation email from us outlining the details followed by a call from the buyer to organise a suitable inspection time and location.
- For your inspection, you’ll need to have the required items:
– Proof of vehicle ownership (e.g. a registration renewal letter in your name)
– Service history documents (and repair receipts if applicable)
– All sets of keys for the car
– Your driver’s licence
- Once the check is completed, the inspector will confirm with you your instant offer price. If you accept, the buyer will assist you in completing transfer of ownership documents, as well as finalise the transfer of payment for your car. Money will usually be in your account by the next business day.
Note: If your car is currently under finance, you’ll need to speak with your lending financial institution and ask them to provide a letter detailing the payout figure outstanding on the loan – please have this letter ready at inspection.
10. If I cancel the offer, can I still use this service at a later time?
Your offer is valid for 7 days* and can be taken up at any time during this period. If you choose not to accept this offer within 7 days, you may or may not receive a new offer in the future. As the price of your car will change with market, we cannot guarantee that you’ll still receive the same offer previously made. To review your current offers, sign in to your carsales account.
11. Why has my Instant Offer been show as a range?
Instant Offer assumes your vehicle meets our required purchase condition. Based on the way you have answered the vehicle condition questionnaire your vehicle may fall outside of this condition so a final inspection needs to occur before the Instant Offer price can be finalised.
12. Can the buyer adjust the Instant Offer or refuse to buy my car once the car has been inspected.
The inspector can adjust the Instant Offer price or choose not to go ahead with the purchase of your car if:
- Your car’s details do not match the vehicle details submitted on carsales
- Your car is deemed to be in poor condition
- There are issues with the title to your car
- Your car has been written off
- Your vehicle has a Takata airbag recall
- Your car is a private import
13. How long is the offer valid for?
Your offer is valid for 7 days* and can be accepted at any time during this period. If you choose not to accept this offer within 7 days, you may or may not receive a new offer depending on our market analysis. As the price of your car will change with the market, we cannot guarantee that you’ll still receive the same offer previously made.
14. What if my car is currently financed?
Your offer is still valid, even if your car is currently under finance. All you’ll need to do is provide a current payout figure provided by the financial institution to the wholesaler, who will help you through the remaining processes to complete the sale.
15. How will I be paid for the sale of my car?
Once the sale of your car has been finalised, our buyer will be able to arrange a bank transfer into your account which will be processed the next business day after the sale. If your car is currently under finance, please allow time for the transactions to be finalised with your lending financial institution.
16. What documentation will I need to complete the sale of my car?
Before your appointment with the buyer, you’ll need to get the following items together, as these will be required for the transfer of ownership:
- Proof of vehicle ownership (e.g. a registration renewal letter in your name)
- Service history documents (and repair receipts if applicable)
- All sets of keys for the car
- Your driver’s licence
Note: If your car is currently under finance, you’ll need to speak with your lending financial institution and ask them to provide a letter detailing the payout figure outstanding on the loan – please bring this letter to your appointment.
17. Will carsales or the buyer arrange transport for my return home after selling my car?
You will need to arrange your own transport home after selling your car. The staff at each drop-off location will be able to direct you to the nearest public transport facility or if you’d prefer, the buyer can also arrange to collect the vehicle from your location, this will incur a cost which will be deducted from your Instant Offer price.
18. Is the offer Negotiable?
No. The instant offer is not negotiable.
19. I want to change my appointment but I can’t contact to the buyer
If you are having troubling reaching the buyer on the phone or wish to contact them outside of business hours there is a contact form in your instant offer dashboard. Click ‘message’ follow the prompts and your note will be sent to our wholesale buyer.
20. Who do I speak to if I have more questions about the Instant Offer service
If you have any further questions about our Instant Offer service, please call the carsales customer service team on 13 72 53 (13 SALE).
For instant offer terms and conditions, click here.
* Instant Offers that are received as part of an ad on carsales expire after 24 hours unless stated otherwise.