1. What is Instant Offer?
carsales Instant Offer is a trusted and hassle-free way to sell your car in 24 hours and get paid fast. Below is a step-by-step guide of how it works:
- Visit carsales Instant Offer and simply enter your car’s details, such as make, model, year, condition and the odometer.
- Receive a free online quote from an official buyer in just a few minutes. You’ll have 7 days to decide whether you’d like to accept the quote, after that, you’ll have to generate a new quote.
- If you accept the quote, the buyer will give you a call to schedule in a time for your car to be inspected. You can:
- Choose to have your car inspected at the dealership, or at your preferred location using our mobile inspection service (where available).
- During the inspection, the buyer will check that the car matches the quote description and meets the offer conditions.
Once the sale is finalised, you then drop your car off to the buyer or can use our collection service (additional fee applies), hand over the keys and, in most cases, get paid the next business day. You’ll be paid into your chosen bank account.
2. Who will be purchasing my car if I sell through Instant Offer?
carsales has partnered with reputable wholesale buyers Australia-wide, who are interested in buying cars directly. Our buyers are licensed motor vehicle dealers, who generally purchase cars to sell through a dealership.
We will match you with an official buyer who is located close by, for a quick and easy sale.
3. Why should I sell with Instant Offer?
carsales Instant Offer provides a quick and easy alternative to the traditional way of selling your car, and the process can usually be completed in 24 hours if desired.
Instant Offer benefits:
- Receive an obligation-free quote in just a few minutes
- It’s easy & convenient
- There’s no roadworthy required
- Choose whether you’d like to drop off your car or have it picked up
Hand over the keys and get paid- usually the next business day.
4. How is the Instant Offer quote calculated?
The carsales Instant Offer quote is calculated using live market data, which is based on the recent sale of similar cars. This data is collected through the carsales network and other sources, including redbook.com.au
5. What are the Instant Offer conditions?
Instant Offer is not available on cars with more than 180,000km or older than 12 years.
The buyer will honour the carsales Instant Offer price provided that the car matches the quote description and meets the offer conditions. The below conditions will be checked by the buyer during inspection:
- The car must meet our unfair wear & tear damage assessment, applicable to both the interior & exterior of the car
- The car has complete service records
- The car is free from mechanical issues
- The car is free of rust
- The car has no modifications
- The car has clean title history (i.e. does not have finance owing)
- The car has not been written off
If your vehicle does not meet some or all the conditions, the buyer may adjust the price from the original offer or choose not to proceed.
6. How do I accept an Instant Offer?
Visit carsales Instant Offer and enter your car’s details. You will then be prompted to sign in, and after signing in you’ll be shown your Instant Offer quote. From this screen you’ll be able to accept your Instant Offer. Instant Offer is not available on cars with more than 180,000km or older than 12 years.
This offer is valid for 7 days. During that period, you can view your Instant Offer at any time by clicking the membership tab and Instant Offer tab in your carsales account. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact our local support team on 13 72 53.
7. How do I organise an inspection with the buyer?
After you’ve accepted your Instant Offer, you will be contacted by an official buyer to schedule an inspection time and location that works for you. The buyer’s contact details are also displayed on the acceptance page if you’d like to contact them directly.
8. Once I’ve accepted my Instant Offer, what’s next?
After you’ve accepted your Instant Offer, you will receive confirmation via email. This will be followed by a call from an official buyer to schedule an inspection time and location that works for you.
- At the time of your inspection make sure you have proof of vehicle ownership, service and repair history documents, all sets of keys for the car and your driver’s licence available to ensure an effortless inspection.
- Note: If your car is currently under finance, you’ll need to speak with your lending financial institution and ask them to provide a letter detailing the payout figure outstanding on the loan.
Once the inspection is complete, the buyer will confirm the Instant Offer price with you and help complete the transfer of ownership documents, as well as finalise the transfer of payment for your car.
9. If I don’t accept my offer, can I use Instant Offer at a later time?
If you choose not to accept, or you cancel your offer, you can always get a new offer by visiting https://www.carsales.com.au/instant-offer
As the price of the car will change with the market, we cannot guarantee that you’ll receive the same price as your previous quote. To review your current offer, sign in to your carsales account.
10. Why is my Instant Offer shown as a range?
The Instant Offer quote assumes that your vehicle meets our required purchase conditions. In some cases, the information provided in the online quote form may suggest that the car falls outside of the condition requirements and therefore requires an inspection to validate the car’s details before the Instant Offer price can be finalised.
11. Can my Instant Offer quote be adjusted by the buyer?
Yes, so we would recommend being as accurate as you can when completing the quote form online. Below are the common items the buyer will check during inspection:
- Car details match the vehicle details submitted on carsales – including make, model, build year, badge and condition
- Free from mechanical issues and rust
- Clean title history and has never been written off
- Complete service records – stamped logbooks
- Free from existing damage – interior & exterior
- No illegal modifications nor is a private import
12. How long is the Instant Offer quote valid for?
Your Instant Offer is valid for 7 days and can be accepted at any time during this period, after that you’ll need to generate a new quote.
It’s important to note that as the value of your car will change with the market, we cannot guarantee that you’ll receive the same price as your previous quote or another quote.
13. What if my car is currently financed?
Get in touch with your lending financial institution and ask them to provide a letter detailing the payout figure outstanding on the loan. Provide this to the buyer at inspection and they will then help you through the process to complete the sale.
14. How will I be paid for the sale of my car?
Fast! Once the details are finalised, the buyer will pay into your chosen bank account, usually the next business day. If your car is currently under finance, please allow time for the transactions to be finalised with your lending financial institution.
15. What documentation will I need to complete the sale of my car?
Please bring the following with you when handing the car over to the buyer:
- Proof of vehicle ownership (e.g. a registration renewal letter in your name)
- Service history documents (and repair receipts if applicable)
- All sets of keys for the car
- Your driver’s licence
Note: If your car is currently under finance, you’ll need to speak with your lending financial institution and ask them to provide a letter detailing the payout figure outstanding on the loan – please bring this letter to your appointment.
16. Is the quote negotiable?
Unfortunately, your Instant Offer quote is not negotiable and is a set price calculated using live market data.
17. I was told there would be a delay in receiving my Instant Offer?
In some instances, we may not be able to provide an Instant Offer quote on the spot due to a low data sample, unique car specifications or the car not meeting our offer conditions.
Our team will investigate further and, where it is possible to price your car manually, you can expect to receive your Instant Offer quote via email and SMS within 1-2 business days.
18. Will the buyer arrange transport for my return home after selling my car?
You will need to arrange your own transport home after selling your car. The staff at the buyer location will be able to help direct you to the nearest public transport facility.
Alternatively, you may be able to use our collection service where the buyer will collect the vehicle from your preferred location (an additional fee applies).
19. How I can I send a message direct to the buyer?
If you’re having trouble reaching the buyer or would like to contact them outside of business hours, there’s a contact form that you can access in your carsales Instant Offer dashboard located within the membership tab. Click ‘message’ and then follow the prompts for your message to be sent direct to the buyer.
20. Who can I speak with if I have more questions about Instant Offer?
If you have any further questions about carsales Instant Offer, please call the carsales customer service team on 13 72 53.
21. Can I change my mind about selling my car after I’ve accepted the quote?
Yes, you can change your mind and decide not to sell after you’ve accepted your Instant Offer quote. You are under no obligation to sell until you sign the contract for sale, and may instead decide to list your car privately on carsales.
22. Reasons why an Instant Offer quote may be adjusted
In rare cases an Instant Offer quote may be adjusted after the buyer has inspected the car. Below are reasons why it may be adjusted:
- Incorrect vehicle – carefully check that you have selected the correct make, model and badge for your vehicle
- Incorrect build year – also check that the build year and month for your vehicle is correct
- Incomplete history – make sure your service history is up to date and you don’t have any missing logbooks or stamps
- Paint or body damage – consider dents, heavy scapes, stains and rust when completing the condition report
- Components missing or not working – an example of this is the electric window not working
- Illegal modification
23. Where can I find the build year of my car?
Build year is the year in which the car was manufactured, it’s important that the build year is correct when identifying your car in order to get a carsales Instant Offer.
Where to find it?
The build plate should be located in one of the following locations:
- Engine bay
- Door sills
- Door pillar
It’s important to note that the build year is different to the compliance date or the year the car was first registered. Registration papers/stickers are not always a reliable source for build year.
For instant offer terms and conditions, click here.
* Instant Offers that are received as part of an ad on carsales expire after 24 hours unless stated otherwise.