PayProtect offers buyers and sellers a safe and secure way to transact online with the peace of mind that money is being held securely during the process. As a buyer, you can lock in the car of your dreams conveniently and without the hassle of bank cheques or dealing in cash. As a seller, you can have confidence that the buyer is genuinely interested in your car. New to carsales and available to all members, PayProtect makes payments safe and easy.
How does PayProtect work?
- MAKE PAYMENT – You can get started by choosing from one of your enquired private vehicles in your carsales membership account. You should then be able to see an option to use PayProtect and make a payment by debit/credit card or via BPAY. Small PayProtect fees will apply, but you are only charged for successful transactions.
*BPAY payments can take between 1-3 business days to process, and debit/credit cards are processed on the same day.
- PAYMENT SECURED – You and the seller will both receive an email confirmation as well as a notification in your carsales account letting you know the payment has been secured in PayProtect.
- REQUEST PAYMENT - It is at this point the seller can request a partial or full amount of the funds to be released by adding in their bank account information. The funds will still be held by PayProtect at this stage.
- RELEASE PAYMENT – The buyer can only release the payment once the seller has requested the funds and entered their banking account. We recommend releasing the funds whilst onsite upon picking up the vehicle.
The amount (minus PayProtect fees) will be transferred to the seller and can take between one (1) to five (5) business days to clear in the seller’s account.
Buyers and sellers are both charged the same PayProtect fees, which are a flat fee of $8.00 plus 0.1% (of the value being debited). The Buyer is charged this fee in addition to the transaction amount, and this amount will be deducted from the funds upon release to the Seller.
Partially refunded transactions include a partial refund of the 0.1% fee.
We currently offer two payment methods, BPAY and debit or credit card*.
*Additional fees apply if paying via debit or credit card and are only charged to successful transactions.
Card fees (VISA & Mastercard debit or credit cards only)
Buyers are charged a 1.2% card processing fee of the value being debited. You may be asked to send additional card holder verification documents if your transaction needs further review.
Buyers are not charged any additional fees for paying via BPAY. No additional payment verification documents would be required.
Paying with BPAY requires you to send PayProtect funds using your online or telephone banking with the BPAY Biller Code 259564 and the transaction reference number provided in your carsales transaction sent to you via email. Funds sent without the transaction reference could delay processing of your payment.
1. A buyer has paid but I can't see their payment?
The buyer might have paid via BPAY which can take 1 to 3 business days to process (see BPAY processing times above). Once the payment clears on our end, we will send you both confirmation via email letting you know the funds have been secured in to PayProtect.
2. As a buyer, when should I be releasing the funds to the seller?
We strongly recommend that as a buyer you do not release funds to the seller until you have had a chance to inspect the vehicle, are happy with its condition and are definite that you’d like to proceed with the purchase. For more information on safety tips for buyers, click here.
We recommend undertaking a CarFacts History Report to ensure that you have reviewed if there is any finance owing on the vehicle and ensure that the seller has arrangements with its financier to provide clear title of the vehicle to you.
3. As a seller, when should I be handing the keys to the buyer?
The benefit of PayProtect is that you can be comfortable giving the buyer possession of the car as soon as the funds are in the PayProtect account. The funds cannot be returned to the Buyer without your consent.
4. Can I make more than 1 payment for the same item?
You can only make one transaction per item. You cannot make two separate payments. Example: If the car's advertised sale price is $10,000, you need to pay $10,000 in one transaction, you cannot split the payment in to 2 or 3 payments, e.g. $5000 and $5000 to make up the whole amount.
5. How can I get a refund (buyer)?
While funds are still in the PayProtect holding account, you can request a full refund (which the seller can then approve) to release the funds back to you. You would receive the full amount you paid including any transaction fees and card fees. We cannot issue a refund without the seller's approval.
If you and the seller have agreed to a final sale price less than the amount the buyer has paid into PayProtect (the original listed advert price), the buyer will be refunded that amount to their card used for purchase or will be prompted for the bank details used to send funds via BPAY.
Please call our customer service team on 13 72 53 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries..
6. As a seller using PayProtect, how will I be paid for the sale of my vehicle?
Sellers will be asked to submit their Australian bank account details – this is the account your payment will be transferred to once the buyer has released the funds.
7. How long will it take to receive my payment?
Your payment will take between 1 to 3 business days from the time the buyer releases the funds to reach your account depending on your bank’s processing speed.
8. Where are payments held?
The PayProtect holding account is an Australian bank account managed by our trusted payment services provider. All payments are secured and encrypted.
9. Will you share my bank details with the person I’m transacting with?
No. All customer bank details are secured and encrypted.
10. I would like to place a deposit on a car. Can I do this through PayProtect?
PayProtect cannot be used for deposits at this stage but keep an eye out for updates on when this feature is released.
11. I am a seller who has sold my car to a buyer via PayProtect. Why haven’t I received my payment from PayProtect yet?
If paid to your bank account, it's possible that your bank details were entered incorrectly. Please check your email for any correspondence from us. If you haven’t received anything, please contact us for assistance.
12.What is the procedure if I pay into PayProtect and then decide not to buy the car?
If you have paid into PayProtect, and change your mind about the car, you can request and then receive a full refund as long as you have not taken possession of the vehicle.
13. Why do I need to provide ID to PayProtect?
We may require additional verification of your identity to remain in compliance with financial and government regulations.
All information and photos supplied are secured and encrypted and are only used for the purpose of verifying your identity.
Specifically, the reason we request a photo of you holding your identification (instead of requesting a scanned copy) is to ensure that the person providing the identification matches the person in the photograph. This is to prevent someone unlawfully obtaining a copy of your identification and using it without your knowledge.
14. Will funds paid by credit card be treated as a cash advance?
Credit card payments made to PayProtect are considered an online card payment. The cash advance feature only applies when the credit card is used to withdraw funds from an ATM or over the counter at the bank.
Call us on 13 72 53 if you have any further enquiries